High School STEM Expert (Fully Remote)
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Learning Expert (Teacher) - Remote
Sora is a virtual middle and high school. We have fundamentally reframed the curriculum and approach followed by traditional schools. Through a combination of synchronous learning experiences (expeditions) and individual learning options (activities and independent study) students chart their own path through middle and high school.
Our faculty lead expeditions and support student individual learning by serving as a guide and coach for our students: sparking their interests, creativity, and self-driven learning. The content of expeditions is rooted in our educational philosophy (more here!) but may be adapted to your own interests and the interests of our students. You’ll explore topical questions to help them work through their projects. One moment a student may be asking about the American Civil War and the next someone needs help with Nietzschean Philosophy. One moment a student may be asking about rocketry, and the next someone needs help with an app to address the effects of climate change. You help students think broadly and delve deeply, teaching students about your subject areas as well as areas beyond your expertise.
As an essential aspect of being a community of learners, experts also serve as house advisors–serving as a trusted point of contact for a group of Sora students as they explore the program and structure their Sora journey. Students often work with advisors to consider what they might want to learn next, and figure out how to overcome roadblocks.
You will help to build our model too: we’re a unique school and a start up. We look for people excited by this. You’ll have the opportunity to push our educational model, student experience, and company forward by participating in cross-team, department, and functional projects. You will have the chance to design learning experiences and to make the ones we have even better. Whether you’re interested in curriculum development, creating vibrant and engaging remote experiences, or how to run a startup, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute and learn.
Location and Salary
This is a fully remote position (located anywhere in the US) with full-time and part-time options available. Full-time roles for US based candidates have an annual salary of $60,000 - $70,000/year, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, a retirement plan with company matching, and generous Paid Time Off. We’re excited to build a team with diverse perspectives and backgrounds, and encourage candidates to apply even if they don’t have experience in all the following areas.
What You’ll Do
- Facilitate expeditions for students: Expeditions are six-week learning modules for our students, helping them develop knowledge and abilities, while allowing them to explore interests. We have a growing library of expeditions developed by faculty and curriculum designers, and work with faculty to develop new offerings.
- Develop new learning experiences and improve current expeditions: Faculty members will develop new learning experiences with the guidance and support of curriculum staff on an annual basis. Faculty will also continuously improve current expeditions on an ongoing basis in collaboration with curriculum staff.
- Coach students one on one: Faculty members work with students throughout their time at Sora to help identify resources, tutor, provide feedback on progress, and generally support their journey at Sora.
- Track student progress and goals: Using our internal software and other tools, ensure students are meeting their learning goals and document feedback for students, parents, and Sora team members. Provide ongoing feedback on student performance to all stakeholders.
- Support overall school, community, and company growth: We are a new school and organization, and look to each team member to help us build the right model, culture, processes, and policies. We are growing, and we will need you to grow and change with us!
- Communicate with the team and students: As a fully remote workplace and school, we expect each community member to communicate proactively and thoughtfully. We use internal software, Heartbeat, Zoom, and other technology to enable this.
What We’re Looking For
- Student focused: Experience working with middle or high school students and a belief that adolescence is a special time of life with its own specific joys and opportunities. You’re honored to be a part of it and respect our students’ ability to drive their own education, with our support.
- Subject matter expertise: A broad, demonstrated understanding of the academic area, with clear expertise in various component parts.
- Sora academic model & philosophy alignment: Appreciation for and experience with student-led, progressive education and a desire to build something new for students and for the world.
- Excited to build a new school and education model: Interested in being part of a unique hybrid school-tech start up model and excited to dive straight into ambiguity (and resilient when we learn more and change course).
- Critical thinking: You are intellectually curious, with strong critical thinking skills, and a deep interest in furthering your own learning.
- Communication skills: Responsive, professional, and understand working with widely ranging stakeholders both kids and adults; proactive at building relationships in a remote setting.
- DEIB Investment: Invested in furthering diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at Sora through curricular design and implementation as well as participation in the Sora community. We take seriously our commitment to build and support a widely diverse community of students, families, and team members and look for faculty members who believe that this is vital to education, and ideally have experience fostering it in the classroom.
For High School Candidates: Experience should be at the secondary or postsecondary level.
Subject areas for STEM:
Experience in 2 or more of the following areas is desirable:Honors level experience with Algebra I through Calculus, Honors level experience with 2 or more of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Environmental ScienceExperience with coding or robotics preferred
Experience with virtual learning, Passion for independent learning, Familiarity with a variety of tech tools and platforms, Experience in a startup environment.
Working at Sora Schools
Sora offers a collaborative, team-oriented environment with colleagues who deeply care about our mission. We’re fully remote with members living around the world, and believe in flexibility to ensure we can all live a full and balanced life. And of course, we offer US full-time team members stock options, full healthcare benefits, a 401k with matching and work from home stipends.
About Sora Schools
Our mission is simple: build the replacement to the broken U.S. education system. No compromises, no reform. Most schools continue to do the same things they’ve always done: making students memorize content, test them, score them, and rank them. Unsurprisingly, students are losing their creativity and motivation, and are utterly unprepared to succeed in the real world.
In our virtual program, middle and high school students work on passion-based projects that they get to create and take wherever they wish. They don’t spend their school hours attending lecture-based classes and don’t read many traditional textbooks — instead, they’re building video games, writing fantasy novels, conducting scientific research, and more! They connect with industry mentors to expose them to new careers and fields of study. Students learn not only the full breadth of academic subjects but also important soft skills and subjects such as financial literacy, philosophy, and more. Our school is organized in small, tight-knit cohorts so every group of students and faculty can feel close and engaged in their community.
We’ve embarked on our journey to accelerate students toward their wildest dreams. We can’t wait for you to join us!
Equal Opportunity Statement
Sora Schools is an equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values but also enriches our ability to do our work.
Please let your Sora contact know if you would like to request reasonable accommodations during your application or interviewing process.
All full-time team members are required to go through a background screening prior to employment upon hire.
For new hires in the U.S., the E-Verify process will be completed in conjunction with the Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification on the first day of work to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States.