People Business Partner
Why join Pave?
At Pave, our vision is simple - Make Compensation Fair.
How are we going to get there? By building the most intelligent compensation platform, powered by the largest real-time compensation dataset on earth.
We partner with our customers to help them build and retain world-class teams through planning, communicating and benchmarking their team’s compensation in real time. And you don’t have to just hear it from us — you can hear it from our customers: Hover, Sweetgreen, Airtable and more.
We’re growing fast, building an incredible team and product, and having plenty of fun as we do it in our San Francisco and New York City offices.
If stretching the rubber band, building with intellectual honesty and focusing on impact sounds exciting - we highly encourage you to reach out. We’d love to partner on our journey to change the world of compensation!
About the Role:
Pave is building an innovative and growth-oriented People function that enables our employees to do their best work. As Pave’s first People Business Partner, you will directly report to the VP, People, and you will play a key role in building the People function. This role will begin as an IC role, with a growth path into managing and building the People Business Partner team in the long run. You will own the day-to-day partnership with our People Operations team, also working in close partnership with Talent leadership. This role will take you from high level people strategy on Tuesday, to working one on one to coach and develop ICs and managers on Thursday, with everything in between. You’ll build relationships with cross-functional partners, and own enhancing our employee experience, talent management, total rewards, training and development, and employee relations. You will be both strategic and hands-on, a builder and an operator, as well as a key member of our small but growing People team.
We are looking for someone who has experience developing cutting-edge People-focused strategies and initiatives that support business goals, and who is motivated to provide a best-in-class employee experience. To be successful, you will balance best practices with innovation, knowing when to rely on the playbook you know and love, and when to create a new experience or process.
What you'll do here:
- Coach & Guide managers and employees on all things people related, including onboarding, benefits, employee relations & investigations, performance, career development and pathing, mobility, compensation, etc.
- Review & Analyze data to identify trends and solutions to improve performance, retention, and employee engagement & experience outcomes along with change management; evaluate and implement solutions around top talent and DEIB programs, and building a talent strategy, while continuously upleveling our organization
- Build & Iterate on current and future People-led programs, including program managing and supporting our performance and compensation cycles (2x/year): calibrations, facilitating trainings for managers and ICs, enhanced compensation planning partnership
- Provide guidance and input on organizational design, role design, career development, workforce planning and succession strategies
- Build deep partnerships with Pave’s leadership team, and serve as a bridge between the R&D organization and the People Team.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- 8+ years of experience working in a strategic People-focused role, with a passion for the HRBP team
- 4+ years of people/team management experience
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment, with strong business acumen, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and self-initiative. You’ve seen when good goes great, and when bad can pivot into the deepest challenge to tackle
- A passion for building innovative People functions, strong relationships, and high-performing teams; and a true passion for providing an empathetic, honest human experience
- Deep curiosity, desire to teach and learn, and a commitment to excellence in everything you build
- Ideally, experience partnering with R&D (Engineering, Product, and Design) teams and leaders, along with an ability to build deep partnerships with the cross-functional leadership team
- Managed strategic initiatives while owning the day to day operations
- Ability to influence and partner with different levels of the organization to achieve results
- Experience as a Slack power user; experience with our HRIS, Bob, is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-stakeholder projects from inception through to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, especially in the most trying times for the role
- An ability to laugh through some of the toughest times, and bring space for levity among our hard working teams
This salary range may include multiple levels. Your level is based on our assessment of your interview performance and experience, which you can always ask the hiring manager about to understand in more detail. Salary is just one component of Pave's total compensation package for employees. Your total rewards package at Pave will include equity, top-notch medical, dental and vision coverage, commuter benefits, catered lunch, an unlimited PTO policy, and many other region-specific benefits.
Our Compensation Philosophy
Pave’s compensation philosophy is to target the 75th percentile of the market for both cash and equity at your job level. This means that the “mid point” of every band at Pave is the 75th percentile of the broader market.
Pave also has a merit-based philosophy when it comes to compensation increases. We run a performance cycle twice per year to evaluate employees’ performance. Higher than average performance ratings result in compensation increases to the upper end of the individual’s compensation range for their role. The result is that high performers at Pave are paid above the 75th percentile of the market at large.
Pave is committed to pay equity. If you get an offer from Pave, it will be based on your level as determined by your interview performance. And nothing else. We explicitly do not negotiate salary and equity to ensure that we aren’t introducing bias that could lead to pay inequities within the team between candidates who have different negotiation tactics.
How big is Pave today?
We were founded in late 2019, and have grown to 160 employees across San Francisco, New York and the UK.
Where are the Pave offices?
What do employee benefits at Pave look like?
As an employee at Pave, you will have your choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as access to mental health services and other perks to promote your wellbeing. To enhance your personal and professional growth, you will have a monthly L&D stipend. We take our snacking seriously - employees receive catered lunch, dinner and many fun snacks throughout the day.
Who are some of Pave’s customers?
Pave is working with 5,500+ companies today, including some of the best technology logos out there like Credit Karma, RO, Faire, Dropbox, Airtable, Sweetgreen, Checkr, Hubspot, Snackpass, Attentive and more!
What can I expect in interviewing at Pave?
At Pave, we value intellectual honesty and transparency, and we bring this to our interview process. Throughout your time interviewing with us, we will be evaluating where you can best make an impact through multiple conversations with your recruiter, hiring manager, peers and cross-functional partners. We also use our interviews to determine leveling, which is finalized at the end of your interview process by your hiring manager. The majority of our roles have 3-5 interview rounds. You can expect to hear back from our team within 7 days of application, as well as within 2 days after each interview round. Once we extend an offer, we hope to hear back from you within 1 week. It is extremely important to us that we find a great mutual fit - we’re excited to get to know you!
More Questions? Check out our candidate resources page!
Pave is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request accommodation, please email email@example.com.