Software Engineer, Payments
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers. We’re proud to share that Check now powers payroll for platforms that together support over 3 million workers across more than 170,000 small and mid-sized businesses.
Engineering is the core of Check. We believe payroll can and should be easy-to-use financial software, but getting there requires serious and sustained engineering effort. For our efforts, there is the deep satisfaction that comes from delivering people's paychecks on time and accurately. We are excited to bring on a new software engineer who will play a leading role in our payments engineering team.
A large part of fulfilling Check’s mission of “making payroll software” is ensuring that every payment is made in a timely and accurate manner, for every payroll. Check is a payroll company, and at the same time, it is a payments company. The payments system at Check must be highly reliable and robust, handle large volumes of money in and out, and have a high degree of accuracy and auditability in tracking funds and associated liabilities using our internal ledger.
For this role, we are seeking an individual with strong, backend-oriented software engineering skills, a track record of building scalable and simple systems, an entrepreneurial mindset, and high personal integrity. We believe that someone with this combination will unlock new ideas, and solutions for our product, and gain the respect of our team.
In this role, you will:
- Ship code that moves money between employers, employees, and tax agencies via ACH / Wire transfers, in a timely and accurate basis using our internal ledger
- Distill the complexities of payment lifecycles into simple APIs for developers to use to holistic payroll systems
- Build frontend and backend components that improve customer integrations
- Influence the culture, values, and processes of a growing engineering team
- Communicate ideas and specifications through detailed, precise writing
- Work with our ops, design, sales, and legal functions
- Commit on your first day, and deploy code continuously
- Support developers at customer companies
- Teach and learn from other engineers
- Interview prospective candidates
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will:
- Have built and scaled production web applications
- Have SQL and relational database experience
- Have maintained or contributed to developer tools, SDKs, or open-source software
- Have demonstrated product and design sensibilities
- Have strong software engineering fundamentals
Nice to haves:
- Built and scaled critical and time-sensitive systems with a high degree of required reliability
- Experience working on systems with multiple third-party vendor integrations
- You have worked at startups that have achieved market fit and are scaling up
- Previous experience with non-ACH payment rails
- Python (type-annotated) and Django for our API
- React and TypeScript for our frontends
- Postgres for our database
- AWS for our cloud infrastructure
- GitLab for CI/CD
- JIRA and Confluence for project/information management
What we offer:
At Check, we value transparency and trust. It’s important to us that every employee and candidate feels confident that they’ll be treated (and compensated) fairly on our team. The engineering team specifically operates on a flat titling system, meaning everyone is either a Software Engineer or an Engineering Manager. We structure our titles this way to maximize equity, inclusion, and opportunity within our team, and to minimize seniority bias. We want all engineers, regardless of job level, to feel empowered to lead projects they’re passionate about and to collaborate with their fellow Checketeers as equals.
To that end, we will consider candidates with a variety of backgrounds and levels of expertise for this role, and we will determine the appropriate job level for each candidate based on their unique experience and qualifications. The expected annual salary for this role is between $160,000 and $222,000, depending on the job level.
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on their first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.