Head of Technical Services
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers. We’re proud to share that Check now powers payroll for platforms that together support over 3 million workers across more than 170,000 small and mid-sized businesses.
At Check, we call our customers “partners” to reflect the deep relationship and aligned incentives we have with the businesses that build on top of our software. Technical Services is the team responsible for helping our partners understand how to build on top of Check, whether pre-sales or post-sales. As Head of Technical Services, you will lead and grow both technical teams within Revenue.
Our pre-sales team of Solutions Consultants is responsible for achieving the technical win with prospects. Our post-sales team of Product Engineers is responsible for guiding signed partners throughout their partnership with Check, from technical implementation to running payroll at scale. Both teams are experts in Check’s API and Components, and can advise partners on how best to build the payroll product they desire.
For this role, we are seeking a Head of Technical Services who can think like a General Manager and enable our prospects and partners to define, build, and grow their payroll businesses quickly. This person must be a trusted strategic and technical thought partner to our partners, support our partners tactically, and manage the intricacies of partner relationships, often at the same time.
This role is ideal for someone who is an entrepreneur at heart. You will play an interactive role in both examining and influencing how different partners invest in, launch and grow new business units. You will also be a people leader, so the ideal candidate is someone who can be both a player and a coach and is excited to build a high-performing team.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and grow the pre-sales and post-sales technical teams within Revenue.
- Create a scalable motion to ensure prospective partners understand the unique value of Check’s platform.
- Diagnose partner challenges & present recommendations in a consultative manner.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Product, Engineering, Support & Operations, Revenue, and Execs). This includes both being the partner’s trusted voice among internal stakeholders and being the partner-facing architect and advocate of product initiatives that help Check to succeed.
- Drive direction of the Revenue org as a member of the Revenue Leadership team.
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- 5+ years of experience in a role focused on driving the success of external customers
- Strong communication skills and an executive presence
- A desire to build strong partnerships with key partners and internal stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to manage competing priorities and deliver results
- Intellectual curiosity and comfort in navigating uncertainty
- Willingness and ability to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall
- Excited to work with a distributed team
Travel and Office Policy
The Check team is distributed across the US and Canada and we have offices in New York City and San Francisco. While we welcome remote work, we believe time together in person is valuable and important. We offer ample opportunities and encourage employees to attend team offsites, events, and hackathons a couple of times a year! We expect all employees to be willing to attend our annual 3-day company offsite in the fall. In this role, you’ll also travel regularly to see our partners!
For our in-office and hybrid employees, our offices are open all week. We provide meals on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the team hosts regular happy hours, game nights, etc.
What we offer:
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability, and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on their first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $214,400 and $235,840, dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications. Additionally, this role is expected to be eligible for performance-based compensation of $53,600 to $59,100 in the form of performance bonuses.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.