Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers.
Engineering is the core of Check. We believe payroll can and should be easy-to-use financial software, but getting there requires serious and sustained engineering effort. For our efforts, there is the deep satisfaction that comes from delivering people's paychecks. We are excited to bring on a new software engineer who will have an outsized impact on our systems and business along multiple fronts.
For this role, we are seeking an individual with strong, full-stack software engineering skills, but also with a curiosity for systems, an entrepreneurial mindset, and high integrity. We believe that someone with this combination will unlock new ideas and solutions for our product and thrive in our team.
In this role, you will:
- Ship code that calculates, transfers, and files taxes accurately and on time on a daily basis
- Distill the complexities of payroll into simple APIs for developers to use to build payroll
- Build frontend and backend components that improve customer integrations
- Influence the culture, values, and processes of a growing engineering team
- Communicate ideas and specifications through detailed, precise writing
- Work with our payroll ops, design, sales, and legal functions
- Commit on your first day, and deploy code continuously
- Support developers at customer companies
- Teach and learn from other engineers
- Interview prospective candidates
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have:
- 4+ years of experience
- Built and scaled production web applications on the frontend and/or backend
- Production relational database experience
- Demonstrated product and design sensibilities
- Strong software development fundamentals
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Python (type-annotated) and Django for our API
- React and TypeScript for our frontends
- Postgres for our database
- AWS for our cloud infrastructure
- GitLab for issue tracking and CI/CD
What we offer:
At Check we value transparency and trust. It’s important to us that every employee and candidate feels confident that they’ll be treated (and compensated) fairly on our team. The engineering team specifically operates on a flat titling system, meaning everyone is either a Software Engineer or an Engineering Manager. We structure our titles this way to maximize equity, inclusion and opportunity within our team, and to minimize seniority bias. We want all engineers, regardless of job level, to feel empowered to lead projects they’re passionate about and to collaborate with their fellow Checketeers as equals.
To that end, we will consider candidates with a variety of backgrounds and levels of expertise for this role, and we will determine the appropriate job level for each candidate based on their unique experience and qualifications. The expected annual salary for this role is between $160,000 and $220,000, depending upon the job level.
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.