Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril is seeking a Senior Metallurgist to join the team reporting to our Propulsion Development team in the Costa Mesa office. This team designs, builds and tests core technology for custom turbine and piston engines. The role requires high ownership and frequent collaboration with other core disciplines. The ideal candidate would be practical, hands-on and a self starter.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Setup and own a small materials and processes laboratory focused on high temperature alloys
- Prepare and test samples as well as present results to senior leadership
- Lead design reviews, run analysis, visit vendors, define and execute testing
- Support critical hardware demonstrations with customers as needed
- Travel to test sites as needed
- Use first principles physics as a basis for every decision
- 5+ years of materials experience with a focus on high temperature alloys
- Experience in an immersive technical project (collegiate project teams or professional settings)
- High competence with, and fluid use of, engineering first principles
- BS, MS or PhD in an engineering field
- Ability to obtain and hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance as needed
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing
- Knowledge of combustion processes, especially air breathing turbines
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to manage competing scheduling and staffing requirements
- CAD skills (any platform) and ability to make high quality engineering drawings that meet industry standards
- Experience in NX/Teamcenter a plus
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!