Founding Financial Planner
Uprise’s mission is to give everyone in the world the ability to optimize their finances.
We partner with financial companies to embed fully personalized, actionable financial advisory into their offerings, making financial advice as accessible as possible by leveraging automation and AI. We work with companies ranging from fintechs, banks, credit unions, insurance providers, and 401(k) and benefits providers, enabling these companies to build deep relationships with customers across their entire financial lives at a previously impossible scale.
Uprise was rated the #1 Personal Finance app on Product Hunt for 2022 and early customers include Ocho, Suma Wealth, AngelList, and Clair. Our investors include founders and execs from Stripe, Robinhood, SoFi, Cash App, Clarity Money, Carta, Ramp, Gusto, Justworks, Zendesk, Sana, Kin, and more. The company was founded in 2021 by former leaders at Robinhood, Earnin, TransferWise, Facebook, and Justworks.
About the role
We’re looking for a Founding Financial Planner to join our team. You’ll join our wonderful Financial Planning Lead Caroline Petty (bio below), as well as the other members of our small but mighty team working to democratize access to the best possible financial advice. As one of the first full-time hires and a member of Uprise’s founding team, you will have an enormous impact on our product and company trajectory.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with customers, helping them optimize their finances and soliciting feedback on what we can do better. These customers can range from recent graduates to high net worth individuals with multiple businesses.
- Develop succinct and actionable financial plans, leveraging our proprietary software.
- Respond to users’ messages and questions about their finances.
- Continue to build out Uprise’s expertise in specific personal finance topics and scenarios.
- Work closely with the team to shape and influence our customer offering.
- Work closely with the team to shape and influence our in-house financial planning platform.
Why you might be a great fit
- You’re a Certified Financial Planner®.
- You’re deeply passionate about personal finance.
- You care about bringing fairness to a $400B+ industry.
- You love getting to know people's stories and helping improve their lives.
- You can balance the big picture with the tiny details.
- You love technology and have a taste for elegant tools.
- You can form and articulate opinions about software or user experience.
- You’re proactive and entrepreneurial when it comes to improving our products and processes.
Why you might be excited about us
- You care about the mission. We want to give as many people as possible the opportunity to improve their financial life.
- We have big aspirations. We want to be embedded everywhere anyone needs to make a financial decision and help the 99% optimize their finances at scale.
- We’re as early as it gets. If you’ve always dreamed of joining a founding team and building something from nothing, this is your 0 to 1 opportunity.
Why you might not be excited about us
- We’re a small team, and everyone is expected to wear multiple hats. If you prefer to work in a narrow swim lane, this role likely isn’t for you.
- We're an early stage startup, and projects and priorities may shift. If you depend on structure and predictability in your job, this won’t be the right fit.
- We have a ton of work to do. That said, pacing is key - take your vacations!
- We’re looking for a builder, not a manager. We expect a high degree of output.
- You will have a lot of responsibility. If a high degree of ownership and autonomy makes you uncomfortable, this is probably the wrong opportunity.
We're open-minded about experience (and will adjust the role and compensation accordingly), but are generally looking for several years of experience in financial planning. The following experiences are also a plus:
- Previous start-up/tech experience.
- Experience advising business owners or HNW individuals.
- Expertise in taxes and optimizing them.
This role comes with competitive compensation (salary + equity ownership), paid vacation and sick leave.
Work from anywhere, but we're looking for someone with significant time overlap with the US timezones.
The team so far
Jessica Chen Riolfi (CEO/Co-Founder) previously built product at Robinhood, was the head of Asia for TransferWise, and head of product for Earnin.
Chris Goodmacher (Co-Founder) was previously employee/engineer #2 and the 1st PM at Justworks.
Nantha Muthusamy (Co-Founder/Head of Engineering) was an AI/ML engineer at Facebook and Oracle.
Caroline Petty (Financial Planning Lead) previously managed a fund research team at Raymond James.
Pepper (Head of Cuddles): https://www.instagram.com/pepperlikespets/
How to apply
Please send us an email at email@example.com. Include a little bit about who you are, what stage you’re at in your career and why you’re interested in Uprise. A LinkedIn profile (or a resume) would be great.
Uprise is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.