Senior Software Engineer
Austin, TX, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2022
Modern is a seed-stage defense-first AI company that is creating One AI for Defense. We build modular and compositional AI products that span the gulf between raw sensor data as inputs, and GUIs and COPs for output.
We are seeking a talented Software Engineer who has broad experience across algorithms, UI, translating higher-level specs into detailed work plans, and most importantly, having previously overseen the development of a product to the point where it was shipped.
When you join, your primary task will be to help the current team see our first suite of products through to deployability status. In general, you will work with the team on many different aspects of our core products, take point on integrating with external APIs and software solutions, and assist with product customization and deployment. Your work environment will have the magic mix of autonomy and independence in how you work, and the highly collaborative nature of a small, fast-paced team environment. As an early hire, you’ll have the opportunity and active encouragement to influence the direction of product and feature development, and to grow into larger roles, or potentially other disciplines, as the company expands. And as a Modern employee, you’ll be helping create products that provide enormous benefit to the American warfighter.
- Strong background in Python
- 3+ years of experience required
- A generalist background, and the experience and desire to tackle problems across core engineering, UI, data management, deployment, and the development lifecycle
- Must be very comfortable with Linux and virtualization
- Must have overseen the development and shipment of at least one product
- the Defense space
- Hardware integrations
- Interfacing with established UIs, ideally DoD UIs such as ATAK
- Creating products based on AI models
Preferred: experience in one or more of
- $200k - $300k plus equity, depending on experience
- Full health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid relocation
- Company gym membership
- Free lunch every day
This role requires US citizenship due to federal contracting guidelines.