Associate General Counsel
Check is a payroll-as-a-service API that lets you embed payroll directly in your vertical SaaS, HR, or time-tracking platform. Our API abstracts away the complexities of running payroll: tax calculation, remittance, and filing, plus the movement of money between companies and employees. This enables companies to easily build fully integrated payroll products to offer to their customers. We’re proud to share that Check now powers payroll for platforms that together support over 3 million workers across more than 170,000 small and mid-sized businesses.
The Legal and Compliance team wears many hats at Check. We support our Revenue team by negotiating and executing contracts, advise internal and external stakeholders on the myriad regulations that govern payroll processing and money movement, manage key relationships including regulators, banks, and critical vendors, and work across all teams to minimize risks including data security and privacy.
We’re looking for an Associate General Counsel to work side-by-side with our General Counsel and Legal team as well as a variety of other teams including Finance, Product, and Security, to address the legal and compliance needs of the business.
In this role, you will:
- Work alongside the Revenue team to negotiate contracts for new and existing customers and engage with current and future customers
- Manage Check’s contracts program, including vendor agreements, consulting agreements, software licenses, and NDAs
- Advise internal and external stakeholders on regulations and rules including BSA/AML, OFAC and sanctions, state money transmission regulations, NACHA requirements, and applicable data security and privacy laws
- Perform a range of additional tasks that serve the legal function and team at Check
Many backgrounds could fit this role, but ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- 5-8 years of relevant experience at a law firm or a combination of law firm and in-house experience
- An understanding of corporate law and its practical application to a growth-stage business environment
- Strong knowledge of SaaS contracts and experience independently negotiating complex commercial relationships
- Experience with financial services or another regulated industry and understanding of data security and privacy laws
- Superior project management and problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail and ability to bring clarity to ambiguous situations
- Strong communication skills and experience harnessing numerous stakeholders to execute a common goal
- A “roll up your sleeves” attitude and desire to learn all aspects of the business of a growth-stage fintech company
In the US, Check offers company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, short-term/long-term disability and basic life insurance coverage to all full-time employees, effective on your first day of work. We also provide stock options, flexible PTO and sick leave, 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents and flexible return-to-work, 9 annual holidays, a 401k retirement plan, and a $100 monthly stipend for home internet and mobile phone expenses. Benefits may vary outside the US.
The expected annual salary for this role is between $205,000 and $245,000, and is dependent upon each candidate’s unique experience and qualifications.
Check participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with Form I-9 information from all new employees to confirm that they are authorized to work in the U.S. Check does not use E-Verify to pre-screen applicants.